KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wrapping stitching (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91955)

motherpink 06-07-2009 11:54 AM

Wrapping stitching

I came across a knitting pattern which had wrapping in it. Please can someone explain this to me and is there a tutorial on this stitch as I had never heard of it before.

suzeeq 06-07-2009 01:46 PM

What kind of wrapping? There's wrap and turn used for doing 'short rows' where you knit only part of the sts on a row and is done for shaping. This is shown in a video near the bottom of the advanced techniques page. There's another kind of wrapping were you knit a few sts then wrap the yarn around them, and yet another kind where you wrap the yarn more than once around the needle as you knit the stitch, then drop the extra wraps on the next row. We really need more information - a link to the pattern, a picture, a row or two where it has the wrapping in it....

heidi jean 06-07-2009 02:04 PM

In my book titled 200 knitting tips by Betty Barnden her instructions are "Short row shaping: Step 1; Work the number of stitches required for the first short row. On this knit row the next stitch will be wrapped knitwise. Note that the wrapped stitch is not the last stitch of the short row but the next (unworked) stitch. With yarn at back of the work, slip the next stitch purlwise. Bring the yarn between the needle tips to the front of the work."
Step 2; "Slip the stitch from the right needle back onto the left needle. Take the yarn to the back between the needle tips. One stitch has been wrapped knitwise.
Step 3; Turn the work. The yarn is now at the front of the work, ready to purl the second short row. Purl the number of stitches required for the second short row. The next stitch will be wrappped purlwise. With the yarn at the front of the work, slip the next stitch purlwise. Take the yarn to the back of the work between the needle tips.
Step 4; Slip the stitch from the right needle back onto the left needle. Bring the yarn to the front between the needle tips. One stitch has been wrapped purlwise. Turn the work. The yarn is now at the back of the work, ready to knit the third short row.
To work wrapped stitchs after short-rows are complete; To work a wrapped stitch knitwise, insert the right neele under the wrap and then into the stitch (knitwisee). Knit both the wrap and the stitch together.
To work a wrapped stitch purlwise, insert the right needle under the wrap from behind and then into the stitch (purlwise). Purl both the wrap and the stitch together.
The short rows add extra length to item. The wrapped stitches disguise the steps at the ends of the short rows.

suzeeq 06-07-2009 02:09 PM

If this is the type of wrapping the pattern wants. I can think of two other ways for different reasons.

motherpink 06-07-2009 03:53 PM

Heidi thank you that is the type I'm looking for. Using it in short rows. and Suzeeq may I ask what are your ways in the wrapping the stitch please!.

suzeeq 06-07-2009 04:20 PM

The other two ways I mentioned are as in post 2 - wrapping the yarn more than once when making a stitch, which you drop on the next row to create an elongated stitch. Also, wrapping the yarn around 2 or more sts to create a puckered kind of stitch. I just didn't know what you meant by 'wrapping' a stitch as there's several types.

motherpink 06-08-2009 02:07 AM

Thank you suzeeq