KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Update: Pictures! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91978)

dustinac 06-08-2009 03:25 PM

Update: Pictures!

Last year, on KH, we made stocking for the troops, and I just loved the idea. We had locals here in town that donated candy, baggies, stickers, time, stockings, and signatures (they signed 850 cards for us)...We then had the children decorate the envelopes and other cards...we stuffed the stockings we made and placed them in baggies with the cards...then after talking to Becky we also went ahead and divided up the candy placed it in a baggie with a card...this way all she would have to do was stick in a stocking for the troops. We then boxed up all those items and sent them to Becky.

I know life gets in the way and we all get in a rush but that was all I heard from her. This year I would like to continue the stocking idea but felt I wanted to do something for Coshocton, OH. It has been hit very hard by the economy with many losing jobs. Last Christmas we had more children in need than in the past few years and knew this year would be even more children.

We have been in contact with the Salvation Army here in Coshocton who does a Christmas Castle for the kids. They get to go into a local store and pick out a winter coat or shoes...no toys or candy.

When we ran the idea of what KH and Coshocton had done last year for the troops by them, they got all excited. We heard a lot of "God bless you all" and "Thank you, this our answer"...

We asked them could they give us a rough number of how many children would need a stocking with a card (thinking maybe 500)...we were stunned when they said 1,000 and each day it's growing.

The local knitters here were going to be knitting the stockings, however this is beyond us, they knew about KH from last year...and asked would any help us? I told them I'm sure they would.

So today I'm here to ask you all for a little help on the knitting and crocheting of the stockings.

We are going to start running ads now(was going to be Sept) for donations from here, to handle the cards/baggies/stickers/etc.

The stockings won't be due till sometime around Oct/November so we can get them stuffed, put in a baggies, and make sure they have a card with them. We will be asking the local schools in Aug if they care to help with the decorating of the cards.

We were hoping to make the stockings a little bigger than last year, not too much...but we found it hard to keep the candy in that size.

I'm working on a bigger pattern now and will post that as soon as it is ready...if any of you would like to start knitting on stockings that would be awesome!

Thank you! :hug:

ETA: A link to Jan's pattern is in post #2...a written out pattern is in post #11.

You can also find the pattern in post #11 here on my blog...

ETA 2: When you are ready to send your stocking (s) on please pm me for my addy :yay:

ETA 3: We now have a group on Ravelry

Jan in CA 06-08-2009 04:21 PM

You mean the little Christmas Stockings right? Something like this? Same size?
http://members.cox.net/janlewis1/Cop...20Stocking.pdf

If that's what you need I can certainly start working on some!

dustinac 06-08-2009 04:49 PM

:hug:Thank you!

:thumbsup:That's it..but this year we are hoping to make them about 6" in length...that way they will hold the candy in them a bit better....

Jan in CA 06-08-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinac (Post 1234766)
:hug:Thank you!

:thumbsup:That's it..but this year we are hoping to make them about 6" in length...that way they will hold the candy in them a bit better....

:thumbsup: Got it!

krismorales 06-08-2009 06:30 PM

I'd like to help out...Will you post the pattern on this thread? Or start a new one?

gmmarton 06-08-2009 08:41 PM

I can make some stockings this summer when I am out on break. It would be wonderful to have some kind of pattern posted on this Thread.

Many thanks for your thoughtfulness.

dustinac 06-08-2009 09:41 PM

:hug:Thanks you guys!

I'll post the pattern here in this thread :happydance:

Jan in CA 06-08-2009 09:44 PM

Does it have to be a specific one or can I use mine?

auburnchick 06-08-2009 10:39 PM

Hi guys. This post caught my attention because I also helped knit up some of those stockings last fall.

Why couldn't we take Jan's pattern and just make them taller? Do they also need to be wider?

dustinac 06-09-2009 08:03 AM

You can use any stocking pattern that you have handy...I'm just also working on one for the local knitters. I just need them to be 6" tall

I can't remeber how wide they were last year but mine is close to 3" wide that I made up last night... we only have 999 left :yay:

Thanks everyone! :hug: