KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Noro silk garden - joining (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93013)

dturner 07-23-2009 06:16 PM

Noro silk garden - joining

After seeing ArtLady's beautiful Noro handspun scarves, I decided that I just had to make one! I am using Noro Silk garden Lite. Well, I am about 10" into the scarf, and I have run into a knot in the yarn. The color of the yarn abruptly changes from deep purple (before the knot) to teal (after the knot). I did a Russian join, but I don't know that the abrupt color change will look right, when the other changes will be gradual changes. I was thinking that maybe I could cut out the teal, and reattach the purple yarn to another section of purples in the ball. Then maybe I could reattach the teal when I reach a point in the yarn where it will match. I hope this makes sense. It's a little hard to explain! Anyway, has anyone run into this problem with this yarn or a similar yarn?

Thanks!

suzeeq 07-23-2009 07:04 PM

Noro tends to have a lot of knots or joins where the colors don't change gradually. Maybe they just want you to buy a couple extra so you can make the colors gradiate the way they're supposed to...?

Ingrid 07-23-2009 09:33 PM

That's the one thing that drives me crazy about the Noro yarns. For some things, the change in color didn't matter, but for a sweater that I'm working on now, I wanted the sleeves to be close to matching each other. I went to great lengths to make sure to start the skeins at the same color, then *KNOT* different color totally.:pout:

You can certainly take out whatever colors you like and switch them around. The Silk Garden felts together very well, so joins don't need knots.

There is a mustardy color that I find unpleasant in one of the Silk Gardens that I used, so I just took it out as I went.

knitasha 07-24-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid (Post 1242981)
There is a mustardy color that I find unpleasant in one of the Silk Gardens that I used, so I just took it out as I went.

I'm using two colorways of Silk Garden for Brooklyn Tweed's ribbed striped scarf. Both contain gray, which is fine, but one had such a long, endless run of gray that it was dulling down a whole section of the scarf. So I cut out a couple of yards and moved right into a pretty blue. I figure it's my yarn and I'll treat it any way I like.

Ingrid 07-24-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

I figure it's my yarn and I'll treat it any way I like.
:cheering:You go!!!!!:thumbsup:

dturner 07-26-2009 08:42 PM

Thanks, so much! I tried joining the yarn at the knot, but I decided that the abrupt color change would look really weird. I ended up cutting out a section that would blend into the section that I knitted before the knot. I do have two balls of the same dye lot. I have finished the scarf, and I really like the way it turned out. I'll post pics after I finish blocking it! My colorway had a longer run of grey and black than I really cared for, too, but I ended up using it. I didn't want to unwind and join the yarn again! LOL