KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I made a Spinning Wheel! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93446)

Tia 08-13-2009 06:28 PM

I made a Spinning Wheel!

1 Attachment(s)
I made a Spinning Wheel !!!
:woot:

See more pics here, I couldn't get them to all load.

Lighting57 08-15-2009 11:43 AM

Tia, can you explain how you made your spinning wheel?

Tia 08-15-2009 12:32 PM

I'm working on writing up the details with pics and drawings. I tried to keep a record as I went, the problem is, I kept changing the way I was doing it as I learned what worked and what didn't. I hope I can remember what all I did and bought, I may have lost a couple receipts.

I'm still tweaking a couple things. The drive band material I ordered is still coming, and the treadle cord (leather) keeps stretching out on me. I've already changed the whorl from what is pictured now.

Once I get it all figured out, I'll put it all up on my blog. Might take me a few weeks. I'll post the blog address when it's up there.

Shandeh 08-18-2009 02:22 PM

What a great thing! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Tia 08-19-2009 06:29 PM

Thanks Shandeh!

On 2nd thought, I don't want my directions getting 'stolen' and sold, so if you are interested in the directions, pm me and when they are ready, I'll email them to you.

vaknitter 10-05-2009 10:49 AM

That's awesome !! I was looking at this forum b/c I was at a fiber festival this weekend and it was so much fun to look at all the fleeces and roving. I kept thinking...if only I had a spinning wheel. There is NO money in the budget for a wheel and the hubby said.... get me some pictures and I'll build you one. At the time I sort of blew him off, but maybe I should put his 14yrs of college to good use.....

irishknt 10-05-2009 02:10 PM

You Rock!!

Tia, you win the female empowerment award, this is so cool. Economic creativity! You are truly an inspiration!

knitasha 10-12-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaknitter (Post 1254795)
There is NO money in the budget for a wheel and the hubby said.... get me some pictures and I'll build you one. At the time I sort of blew him off, but maybe I should put his 14yrs of college to good use.....

Take a look on eBay under "Spinning Wheels." There are several listings of plans for making your own wheel. Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Plan-Build-Class...item518cd7ad4a

Alternative: Start with a spindle. There is nothing you can spin on a wheel that you can't spin on a spindle, and for some things (extremely fine laceweight, for instance), a spindle is actually better than most wheels. I worked at becoming proficient on spindles for two years before investing in a wheel. And even though I love my wheel, my spindles are still constant companions.

MattttaM 01-20-2010 04:22 AM

Any new modifications to the wheel since this thread was posted up here?
Very cool project btw.

Tia 01-20-2010 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattttaM (Post 1272640)
Any new modifications to the wheel since this thread was posted up here?
Very cool project btw.

Actually yes! Sorry, I haven't been on here in ages. I finished the wheel with the larger movie reel as the main drive wheel and a knitting needle as a spindle. It worked, but I didn't like just having a spindle, I wanted a flyer with bobbins. I tried making my own, but it wasn't working out so well, so I purchases an Ashford jumbo flyer set and matching bobbins.

I did create my own adjustable mother-of-all on which to attach the flyer and it all worked pretty okay, but it was somewhat hard to treadle and it was all very fiddly. So I sadly took off the movie reel and made my own wooden one using a 15" pine tabletop from Lowe's. Now it works great! It's very smooth...if may rock a tad, but as long as I keep on the rug, it doesn't 'walk' across the floor.

I'm sorry to say I don't have plans written up for it. I started to, but kept changing things and making updates, etc. that it got impossible to keep up with.

Here are some photos.
Attachment 54049
Attachment 54050