KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   knitting in the round w/ circular needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93569)

Sandralu 08-19-2009 12:38 PM

knitting in the round w/ circular needles
 
I'm knitting a tote, so I've knitted 80 rows for the base. I'm now to start knitting in the round, using circular needles, and pick up yarn from short and long sides of the piece I've already knitted (the 80 rows). Don't know how to do this.

cacunn 08-19-2009 02:40 PM

Can you post a link to the pattern?

There is also a video of picking up stitches on the help section of KnittingHelp

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips


It is toward the bottom of the page.

Sandralu 08-19-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacunn (Post 1247646)
Can you post a link to the pattern?

There is also a video of picking up stitches on the help section of KnittingHelp

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips


It is toward the bottom of the page.

http://redcorsetdesigns.blogspot.com...elt-me-up.html

Sandralu 08-19-2009 03:49 PM

knitting in round w/ circular needles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandralu (Post 1247667)

Here's the site that I got the pattern from. I'm now to the point that I'm to start working on the body...picking up stitches on all sides. This is the part that confuses me. Thanks for the help!

Mirl56 08-19-2009 05:11 PM

I find it easiest if I do the picking up and first few rows with double pt needles - just use one needle for each side.

You've got live stitches on one needle on one edge. It's a little tricky to turn the corner to get to the next side (that's why I like to use dble pt needles for this part). Use a new needle and pick up the stitches along the nest side. Then use a 3rd needle to pick up stitches on the next side - it'll be the same number as the live stitches you started with on the first needle. Ditto the 4th side.

After you knit a few rounds with the dbl pt needles, it's faairly easy to switch to a circular needle, you probably want a 16" needle.

cacunn 08-20-2009 09:03 AM

SandraLu did the video help you pick up your stitches? I think watching is easier than words for my understanding.

Sandralu 08-20-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirl56 (Post 1247683)
I find it easiest if I do the picking up and first few rows with double pt needles - just use one needle for each side.

You've got live stitches on one needle on one edge. It's a little tricky to turn the corner to get to the next side (that's why I like to use dble pt needles for this part). Use a new needle and pick up the stitches along the nest side. Then use a 3rd needle to pick up stitches on the next side - it'll be the same number as the live stitches you started with on the first needle. Ditto the 4th side.

After you knit a few rounds with the dbl pt needles, it's faairly easy to switch to a circular needle, you probably want a 16" needle.

Mirl56, I'll give this a try....and the video Cacunn sent was great. I'm not the best with the DP that's why I chose this pattern, since I'm use to circular needles....but there's hope for me yet. Thanks a bunch!

Sandralu 08-20-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacunn (Post 1247777)
SandraLu did the video help you pick up your stitches? I think watching is easier than words for my understanding.

Thanks Cacunn....I want to call you Cancun...guess I'm thinking about a vacation!! Your video link was extremely helpful. Bear with me...I'm getting use to this website and how it works. I should've been a man since I don't like to read the "how to utilize this site". Thanks again!!

Sandralu 08-20-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandralu (Post 1247793)
Thanks Cacunn....I want to call you Cancun...guess I'm thinking about a vacation!! Your video link was extremely helpful. Bear with me...I'm getting use to this website and how it works. I should've been a man since I don't like to read the "how to utilize this site". Thanks again!!

One more thing...I'm use to starting on DP (at the beginning of a project), but have never used them after knitting 80 rows. I think this is what is most confusing.

cacunn 08-20-2009 10:42 AM

They have a how to utilize this site faq? I just click on buttons to find out where it goes. I drive my DW crazy on trips because I drive the same way.

But as to your question, on this I may not be the one to ask, I have not been knitting that long. knit socks toes-up to avoid picking up stitches at the flap. But IMHO a needle is a needle, if it can be done with DP it can be done with circulars, and on the other side if it can be done with circulars it can be done with DP. A lot has to do with what you are comfortable with.

Like the video I was taught to pick up and knit straight to the circular needle. I may be easier if you use a longer circular needle than a short needle.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com