KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Following instructions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93607)

slj 08-20-2009 01:58 PM

Following instructions

I am working on a hat pattern. The instructions state SKTPO. I understand the SKPO (slip 1, knit 1, pass slip stitch over). What is the T for? I can't find it anywhere in the whole book.

Mirl56 08-20-2009 02:09 PM

Twist maybe?

What's the book - maybe someone has it...

slj 08-20-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirl56 (Post 1247832)
Twist maybe?

What's the book - maybe someone has it...

The book is Mon Tricot Crochet and Knitting No. 14. There is no date on it as to when published but I have had it for quite awhile.

ArtLady1981 08-20-2009 03:29 PM

I found it! I found it!

Here is the written instruction for SKTPO:

sktpo - slip next stitch, knit 2 together, pass slipped
stitch over

And here is the website that demystifies the abbreviation.
I hope it fits YOUR sktpo prescribed in YOUR pattern!

NOTE: the SKTPO is a decrease of 1 stitch. Does this seem reasonable according to your specific pattern? Is the pattern calling for some kind of shaping? OR, is your pattern creating yarn over 'holes' or 'eyelets' and following the yarn over eyelet...which adds a stitch...the SKTPO is the decrease counterpart? Is your pattern 'lacey' in appearance?

suzeeq 08-20-2009 06:16 PM

Ah so it is knit 2 together. Most instructions for that would read sk2po where the k2 is understood to mean k2tog. And this decreases 2 sts no matter how you write it. Slip 1, k2tog, psso - you start with 3 and end with 1.

ArtLady1981 08-20-2009 11:18 PM

I think the reason for the mysterious abbreviation for the sk2po
is because it's a MON TRICOT pattern book. And it might be an older issue!

I've NEVER heard of the abbreviation she ran into! (SKTPO)

And, it's highly unusual that the book would not have a
KEY to unlock the meaning of the abbreviations it's using!

suzeeq 08-20-2009 11:34 PM

I'd never heard of it either. I've got an old Mon Tricot stitch dictionary, will see if it's in there sometime.

ArtLady1981 08-21-2009 12:14 AM

Oh yes! I have an old Mon Tricot Knitting Dictionary, too! Why didn't I think of that!??

I've had it for about OMG...dare I admit how many years?
I'll check the date inside the book. That'll tell me! It was one of my first knitting how-to books! Oy!

suzeeq 08-21-2009 09:17 AM

I do know I bought mine about mid 70s. The cover and first few pages have ripped off, so can't check the date.

slj 08-21-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1247850)
I found it! I found it!

Here is the written instruction for SKTPO:

sktpo - slip next stitch, knit 2 together, pass slipped
stitch over

And here is the website that demystifies the abbreviation.
I hope it fits YOUR sktpo prescribed in YOUR pattern!

NOTE: the SKTPO is a decrease of 1 stitch. Does this seem reasonable according to your specific pattern? Is the pattern calling for some kind of shaping? OR, is your pattern creating yarn over 'holes' or 'eyelets' and following the yarn over eyelet...which adds a stitch...the SKTPO is the decrease counterpart? Is your pattern 'lacey' in appearance?

It is reasonable for the decrease. The SKTPO is done at the top of the hat simply to decrease the number of stitches and shape the top of the hat. The pattern is not lacy. After the rows with the SKTPO the next rows are just following the pattern and calling for stockinette stitches. There are no increases. Thank you for your help.