KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   too fast? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94346)

jberry16 09-28-2009 07:26 PM

too fast?

I blocked my swallowtail this morning, late morning, and it feels just about dry...doesn't this seem too quick? It's done in laceweight. Should I spritz it with a squirt bottle to re-wet it before I take it off the blocking wires?

Jan in CA 09-28-2009 08:08 PM

I think it depends on the weight of the yarn, how wet it was and the humidity in the air. If it looks fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

MerigoldinWA 09-28-2009 08:09 PM

How did you wet it when you began the blocking process? If you submerged the item and then spun or towel dried it, it should have been sufficiently damp to block properly unless it took you a long time to get it situated to start drying.

If you blocked it out with the blocking wires and then spayed it until good and damp I'd think it would be okay the way it is. Just make sure you don't jump the gun and take it up before it is 100% dry. In New Mexico and with lace weight yarn I wouldn't think that it would take too long to dry properly. If it was properly wet the first time, doing it twice won't add anything.

jberry16 09-28-2009 08:18 PM

Our humidity was low today (normal in NM) and the shawl soaked after being gently squeezed in a bowl of water for a good 20 minutes. Then I took it out and rolled it in a couple towls and then blocked it. It feels dry to me now, but I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon to to take it off, just to make sure.
it's laceweight malabrigo

suzeeq 09-28-2009 08:22 PM

Yeah, New Mexico generally has a lot less humidity than the upper Midwest, for instance...

sandy57th 09-28-2009 08:39 PM

It should be left for 2 more full days and nights. One common mistake with blocking is to remove it when it feels dry-- wool is very wicky, so it feels dry before it truly is so.

MerigoldinWA 09-28-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

It feels dry to me now, but I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon to to take it off, just to make sure.

That seems like it would be plenty long with lace weight yarn. :thumbsup:

LizzieK8 09-29-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy57th (Post 1253766)
It should be left for 2 more full days and nights. One common mistake with blocking is to remove it when it feels dry-- wool is very wicky, so it feels dry before it truly is so.

Out here in the desert, I can wash and block socks, hang them, (out of the sun) and they will be bone dry in a couple hours. Same with a baby sweater on a towel. An hour on each side and it's pretty much "done". It's surprising how quickly things dry when the humidity is about 7%.:)

Thala 10-01-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy57th (Post 1253766)

In the desert, you don't need 2 days :)

I've blocked several items successfully in a few hours up to one day (the longest was a large shawl knit in aran weight yarn). I live in Arizona, so it's a rare day when the humidity is over 10%.

I also help things along by putting a big ol' fan on the floor in front of the piece I'm blocking, and after an hour or so I move it around to a different side. Helps to lower the "local humidity" around the item I'm drying. :)

JudyD 10-01-2009 04:38 PM

Can I send my baby blankets to Arizona or New Mexico for blocking? I would love to see our humidity level at 7 to 10%! Maine was very humid and wet most of the summer...humidity levels of 80 to 90% on non-rain days.

I tried to block a heart blanket (designed by Ann Saglimbene) and after four days...part of that in the direct sun...I had to give up and put it in the dryer because I was afraid it would mildew. It came out of the dryer very soft but the measurements were fine.

JudyD