KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Troops Need our Help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94482)

nannaknits 10-05-2009 10:40 AM

Troops Need our Help

Today I got a email from my Daughter who is a Sgt. in the US Army. She is asking for help for her Soliders. Here is what she wrote.

My name is SGT Kimberly Thomson. Troops in Afghanistan need the help and support from back home now more then ever. Im sure everyone has seen the news and read the headlines of the second deadliest attack in Afghanistan, well that was my squadron that took the hit. Many of my guys have had all of their personal belongings go up in flames and have nothing left but the clothes they are wearing. Im not asking for money but simply for the help of anyone that can, to send these guys some hygiene items, towels and washcloths, some socks, sheets and blankets. Anything for these guys to have something. It is all males in need of these items, we are trying our best to get them what we can over here but we have no px, so we are simply trying to get together the extra things that other soldiers have and its just not enough. So if you are able to help please send the items to:

Sgt. Kimberly Thomson
B troop 3/61 CAV
Fob Bostick
APO AE 09354

If you feel you can help out please send the items to my Daughter who will distribute the items to her soliders. I appreciate any and all help that you can give. Thank you so much, Dottie Kruse, Nannaknits

sgtpam 10-05-2009 07:04 PM

Dottie, what have you found to be the best way to send things to your daughter?

nannaknits 10-05-2009 08:45 PM

I use the flat rate boxes from the post office that are specifically for the troops. I believe it cost about $12.00 to mail one no matter what it weighs as long as it goes to a APO or AE address. There are some guidlines for mailing things. Nothing flammable, no aerosol cans, no pork products. Most of the guys wear a Large or Extra Larger in underwear and tee shirts. I appreciate all help for my daughter and her troops. These were "her" soldiers and she is trying hard to provide them just the basic necessities that one needs for daily hygiene. Thanks again, Dottie

momwolf 10-06-2009 08:34 AM

I will send a box out by Friday:hug:

Mulderknitter 10-06-2009 09:10 AM

I'll see what I can get together, I hae some had knit hats and scarves, maybe those? Momwolf what are you planning on sending so I don't duplicate? Or do they not mind?

nannaknits 10-06-2009 11:06 AM

I appreciate your help. I feel so bad for these guys. Since there's more than one soldier that has lost all of their belongings sending duplicates won't be a problem. I will try to find out how many are in need. While all of this was happening in Afghanistan Kimberly's 3 year old daughter (who I watch on a full time basis) became ill and ended up in the hospital with a Septic Hip. She underwent surgery last week and is home now recovering. I haven't had the heart to tell Kim about this episode. I figure that she has enough to worry about right now. I will tell her when things calm down.

Jan in CA 10-06-2009 03:00 PM

I'll see what I can do, too!

Mulderknitter 10-06-2009 05:10 PM

Well, I went thru some of my handknits that haven't found a home yet, and I have about 4 scarves and one hat that a guy wouldn't mind wearing. Do you think they could use those? I hate to see them sitting around if someone can use them.

nannaknits 10-07-2009 12:59 PM

My daughter emailed me again this morning. She said there are 60 males that are in need of personal hygiene items. She said another post provided some uniforms for them but things like soap, toothpaste, wash clothes, towels, shaving supplies and the like are what they can't provide.

Mulderknitter 10-07-2009 03:31 PM

Awesome! I'll hang onto the handknits and see if some coworkers have some stuff they cant send with mine!:muah: