KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Knit the Knits and Purl the Purls (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94500)

Shandeh 10-06-2009 05:18 AM

Knit the Knits and Purl the Purls

When I was a new knitter, I would get SO CONFUSED when a knitting pattern said to "Knit the knits and Purl the purls". It just didn't make sense to me. I thought that they meant that I should knit the stitches that I had knit on the row before, and purl the stitches I had purled on the row before. So, my knitting never came out right.

But, with experience, I learned what they really meant. You should knit the stitches that LOOK like they were just knit. And you should purl the stitches that LOOK like they were just purled.

In this photo, I knit a little sample that has 3 knits, then 3 purls on the right end. You would knit the first 3 stitches, then purl the next 3 stitches, then continue knitting the knits and purling the purls.

I also made a little video. Hopefully, it will help someone.
Good luck with your knitting! :hug:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

etoilechaude 10-06-2009 05:24 AM

It seems like it should be so easy to see without a video, but that was GREAT!!!!!!!! Honestly I just started to recognize my stitches, so this is wonderful help!

pinksugar 10-06-2009 08:35 AM

lol, I'm confusing myself here!

so what you're saying is, if it's flat, and you're doing a purl row, then all the 'knits' from the right (knit) side of the knitting will look like purls, and should be purled, and all the purls will look like knits, and should be knitted.

Right...? :yay:

suzeeq 10-06-2009 09:29 AM

Yes, the back of a knit st is a purl, the back of a purl is a knit. But when you get to the next row, forget what you did to them on the previous row, and just work the sts however they appear on the row you're doing now.

pinksugar 10-06-2009 09:54 AM

I learnt without any terminology whatsoever, so chances are, I know what this is but didn't know the technical term.

I'll have to brush up on my knowledge! thanks for posting the little video too, and I love the sample colour!

Jan in CA 10-06-2009 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always share this sample so knitters can learn what the stitches look like.

Shandeh 10-06-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etoilechaude (Post 1254958)
It seems like it should be so easy to see without a video, but that was GREAT!!!!!!!! Honestly I just started to recognize my stitches, so this is wonderful help!

Glad to help! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksugar (Post 1254987)
so what you're saying is, if it's flat, and you're doing a purl row, then all the 'knits' from the right (knit) side of the knitting will look like purls, and should be purled, and all the purls will look like knits, and should be knitted.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1255024)

I love your sample, Jan! I've seen it before, and think it's wonderful. :hug:

I made the video, because a new member in the "Welcome" thread asked about the statement "knit the knits and purl the purls". I tried to find a video online that explained it, but was unsuccessful, so I decided to make one myself. :wink:

ArtLady1981 10-06-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1255024)

Great photo, Jan!!! I saved it on my 'puter for future use in helping others!

MerigoldinWA 10-07-2009 02:17 PM

It's nice to have this as a sticky because it comes up all the time and is so important for new knitters to learn as quickly as they can. Thanks!

viviaan 11-22-2009 06:13 PM

i still dont understand, so say if like i was knitting 3 then purling 2, when i go back would i be knitting 2 first then purling 3? or would i be knitting 2 and purling 3?