KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Hanging In There (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94893)

Knitting_Guy 10-22-2009 07:52 PM

Hanging In There

My truck is in the engine shop and has been for a couple of days now. Stuck in a hotel.

The bad part is that in the quick move from the truck to the hotel I somehow forgot my to grab my knitting bag. Argh!

Amazing how much one can miss the activity of knitting while sitting around.

Jan in CA 10-22-2009 08:09 PM

Oh no!! Can you go back and get it? That sucks! :doh:

Knitting_Guy 10-22-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1257848)
Oh no!! Can you go back and get it? That sucks! :doh:

Sadly, no I can't. The repairs are supposed to be completed sometime tomorrow, I'll just have to muddle through until then.

EmeraldSpider 10-22-2009 09:38 PM

I have been reading your most recent blog posts and I have to say you are quite an interesting fellow. I am sorry to hear about you leaving your knitting in the truck especially with all that down time. I also must note that those are very hansome pipes you just recently picked up. I am getting my sir a pipe for christmas, it is a running unintentional joke in his family. Two christmass' ago he got a London Fog coat for his mom and his niece got him a magnificent magnifying glass (nice and heavy with some sort of carved stone for a handle) last year. So I am taking the torch and carrying it on this year and I could use some advice(what type to get, where would be the best place to look, types of tabacco and so forth) any advice would be wonderful. Thanks:cool:

Knitting_Guy 10-22-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldSpider (Post 1257862)
I have been reading your most recent blog posts and I have to say you are quite an interesting fellow. I am sorry to hear about you leaving your knitting in the truck especially with all that down time. I also must note that those are very hansome pipes you just recently picked up. I am getting my sir a pipe for christmas, it is a running unintentional joke in his family. Two christmass' ago he got a London Fog coat for his mom and his niece got him a magnificent magnifying glass (nice and heavy with some sort of carved stone for a handle) last year. So I am taking the torch and carrying it on this year and I could use some advice(what type to get, where would be the best place to look, types of tabacco and so forth) any advice would be wonderful. Thanks:cool:

AH, I sense a Sherlock Holmes theme here! The game is afoot!

You can't go wrong with a nice Savinelli pipe, or if you wish to stick to the movie Sherlock, buy him a nice Calabash pipe as that is what the movie Sherlock smoked (not exactly true to the book but what everyone associates with him). In the books Sherlock smoked a clay pipe, which I do not recommend for a newbie pipe smoker.

Peterson also has some Sherlock Holmes pipes, but I am not a fan of Peterson as they dip stain their pipes which means there is stain inside the bowl and they taste terrible for the first 10-20 smokes. Stupid of them.

This is a Calabash (mine, actually):

Sorry for the ugly bloke behind the pipe :teehee:

As for where to look, if there is a tobacconist near you that would be a great place to start, otherwise the web has tons of pipe sellers. If you can find a gourd calabash that would be the best, but a mahogany one will do.

Be prepared to spend $100 or more for a decent calabash pipe, they aren't cheap.

Tobacco? Well, that's very subjective to the smoker, but a very enjoyable English blend is Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. It's held in high regard by almost all pipe smokers.

Another good tobacco is W.O. Larsen's 1868, which is a very good aromatic and can be purchased in 100g tins.

Personally, I think the Squadron Leader would be the way to go.

Mike 10-23-2009 10:37 AM

I thought I was the only one who dared clench a calabash.

Knitting_Guy 10-23-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 1257945)
I thought I was the only one who dared clench a calabash.

:rofl: A good rubber tip on the bit helps with that. I use them on all my pipes.

EmeraldSpider 10-23-2009 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for your help I will start my search. I hope he will like it.:thumbsup:

lelvsdgs 10-25-2009 02:59 PM

OH NO!!!! :help:

I hate it when that happens... left mine at work one weekend... sadly, I had to start a new project because I couldn't stand it.:teehee:

Hope the time passes quickly.

vaknitter 10-26-2009 11:23 AM

Hope you have your knitting back by now. I made a 9hr drive to NY and back last weekend and while I couldn't knit on the way up b/c it was dark and rainy (hubby didn't want interior lights on)....then on the way home I went to turn the heel of my socks and realized I had left my pattern at home !!! AGH 9 hrs of day light burnt in a car and no knitting !!!