KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to shape armhole? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97162)

alexa 01-22-2010 04:25 PM

How to shape armhole?

Hi everyone! I'm knitting a sweater, and I can't understand the pattern because I don't know how to shape raglan armholes.
This is what the pattern says:

"Shape raglan armholes: 5 sts. from edge and decr. at each side every 2 rows: 3-1 and 1 st. Cont. decr. at each side every 2 rows as foll: 2 sts (once) and 1 st. (twice). Rep. 23 times. "

I hope you can help me.
Thanks

dustinac 01-23-2010 10:21 AM

Hi and welcome to KH!

Bumping this up so someone can help break it down :thumbsup:

suzeeq 01-23-2010 10:51 AM

If you have a link to the pattern, that would help.

alexa 01-24-2010 12:49 AM

Hi! Thanks! I don't have the link to the pattern because I have it printed, not online! I copied the instructions from the pattern on my previous post. Can you help me understand it? I don't know how to make the decreases. How many...etc? Help!

alexa 01-24-2010 12:53 AM

Should I copy all the pattern so you can help me?

dustinac 01-24-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexa (Post 1273219)
Should I copy all the pattern so you can help me?

Hi, can you give me the name of the pattern or the instructions before "Shape Raglan...."? Maybe I can find some info that would help that way...we can't have the whole pattern 'cause of copyright laws :thumbsup:

suzeeq 01-24-2010 10:12 AM

Just post a couple of the rows before that one, not the whole pattern.

alexa 01-24-2010 10:03 PM

Sorry! I didn't know about the copyright! So I'll type the instructions for the back.
It says like this:
GREEN ARAN SWEATER
Stitches used: 1. 2/3 Rib stitch: *P2,K3* Cable Stitch: See chart (it comes with a chart of where the cables go)
Back: Cast on 107 sts. and work 2/3 Rib st. At 1 3/4 in. from beg. change to No. 31/2 needles and beg. cables as foll: work 1st 32 sts. in 2/3 rib st. then make right cable. Work next 27 sts. in 2/3 Rib st.then make left cable. Work last 32 sts. in 2/3 Rib st. At 9 1/2 in. from beg., shape raglan armholes: 5 sts. from edge and decr. at each side every 2 rows: 3-1 and 1 st. (97 sts.) Cont. decr. at each side every 2 rows as foll: 2 sts. (once) and 1 st. (twice) Rep. 23 times. Cast off straight rem. 35 sts.

I hope you can help me because I don't understand anything about the raglan armholes. My work already measures 9 1/2 in., but I can't keep knitting because I don't know how to make the decreases. How many on which sides? etc!

Thanks

suzeeq 01-25-2010 12:23 AM

This one is worded very strangely. I think you work 5 sts then decrease, work across and 7 sts before the end do the dec and work the last 5 sts. It sounds like they may be unbalanced decreases, more at the beginning of the row than at the end. The 3-1 sounds like a double decrease taking 3 sts down to 1 maybe ssk. But then the following decreases I'm not sure if you dec 2 sts on the next RS row, one at each end, or dec 2 sts at the beg and one at the end, or if you dec 2 at both ends twice then dec 1 st once.

I think this is one where you need to contact the designer and ask to have it spelled out. I don't understand it myself.

alexa 01-25-2010 11:03 AM

Thanks Sue!! your explanation sounds reasonable.

I'll try to contact the designer and see if they can help me, if not, I'll improvise and I'll knit it as I can! haha

thank you:muah: