KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Copyright question... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98933)

RuthieinMaryland 04-24-2010 11:05 AM

Copyright question...

Hi! :waving:

I'm (finally!) nearing completion on the design samples for my "Design Your Own" Kitchen Cloths and Accessories book and I wanted to double-check the matter of copyright one more time.

For nearly all the sample designs I've used stitch patterns that I've seen in at least two (and usually more) stitch dictionaries. For instance, almost every comprehensive collection of stitch patterns you look in will have the seed stitch, garter stitch, double moss stitch, etc. etc. plus other more elaborate stitches.

These stitch patterns, as I've used them, are incorporated into a project that also may use more than one stitch pattern as well as various finishing techniques. So while using the stitch patterns I've selected, I'm using them in conjunction with other things to create a whole new product.

The way I understand it is that I can copyright the book itself as well as the sample designs without infringing on the copyright of any of the stitch dictionaries that I used in developing those projects.

Is this true? I would really appreciate some input on this.

Thanks so much for your help!

Ruthie :hug:

suzeeq 04-24-2010 11:14 AM

Stitch patterns aren't copyrightable, only how you use them in other designs. As long as the pictures and text of the st patterns are your own, you should be able to copyright the book. Or you might consult a patent attorney, since none of here have specific knowledge.

Jan in CA 04-24-2010 11:15 AM

Don't know if you've seen this, but maybe it'll help.
http://yarnaholic.wordpress.com/the-...-for-knitters/

I think you can copyright your designs, but not the actual stitch pattern so I would think the book would be fine. :think:

RuthieinMaryland 04-24-2010 01:39 PM

Thank you both...

Hi! :waving:

Suzeeq, thanks a lot for your input and Jan, thanks for the article. It has lots of links to even more data which I will definitely investigate.

I'm probably the last person in the universe who would want to infringe copyright since I've made my living for many years producing artwork in one form or another that I then copyrighted.

I KNOW how hard it can be to take something from a wispy idea circling our heads to a finished, packaged, sold and delivered product. :thud:

Been there, done that (over and over) and got the T-shirt!!!

I think I'm OK with the structure of the book. The finished project patterns I've done to illustrate various design elements are all original, even though they use many of the stitch patterns that can be found in stitch dictionaries.

Since I want to include several stitch dictionaries in the bibliography I'll be contacting the publishers of the various stitch collections for the OK to include the names of their books as references for my readers. Hopefully that will work out to everyone's benefit.

Again, thanks for your input. This is SUCH a grand website with such generous people.

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

ittybittypretty 09-24-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1286741)
Stitch patterns aren't copyrightable, only how you use them in other designs. As long as the pictures and text of the st patterns are your own, you should be able to copyright the book. Or you might consult a patent attorney, since none of here have specific knowledge.

I understand how stockinette and garter stitch patterns aren't copyrightable, is it true of all stitch patterns, including lace? So if I have a pattern for lace, I should be able to make whatever I want from that lace pattern and be able to sell said items???

suzeeq 09-24-2010 06:19 PM

Yes, most patterns and especially lace are so old and handed down from generations ago that there's no copyright on them. So you can incorporate them in your own pattern.

ittybittypretty 09-24-2010 06:22 PM

So the pattern is for a lace stole, which technically is just a lace rectangle. The lace pattern is two lines (Row 1, and Row 2), the pattern says it is copyrighted (it's not published in a book, but on the web) does that mean it is being improperly claimed as copyrighted?

suzeeq 09-24-2010 06:31 PM

The pattern for the stole is copyrighted - CO XX sts, knit y rows, work lace pattern for so long, knit y rows, BO - that part is copyrighted, the lace st pattern isn't.

Now, selling the items made from a pattern is not protected by copyright in the US, even though the designer may say that you can't. That's a separate issue - you can't copy the pattern itself and resell it, but you can sell the FOs.

Jan in CA 09-24-2010 07:16 PM

http://yarnaholic.wordpress.com/the-...-for-knitters/

ittybittypretty 09-24-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1301143)
The pattern for the stole is copyrighted - CO XX sts, knit y rows, work lace pattern for so long, knit y rows, BO - that part is copyrighted, the lace st pattern isn't.

Now, selling the items made from a pattern is not protected by copyright in the US, even though the designer may say that you can't. That's a separate issue - you can't copy the pattern itself and resell it, but you can sell the FOs.

awesome, that's what I thought! thank you so much