KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   KnittingHelp.com videos now work on iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99156)

sheldon 05-12-2010 10:53 AM

KnittingHelp.com videos now work on iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads

Just a quick announcement to let you know that the videos on this site now work on iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads. It's still rough around the edges and we have some refining to do and a handful of videos don't work (if you find one let us know). So if you have one of these devices, take a look and let us know.

Also, for those on Android and Blackberry phones, we are planning on adding support for those devices as well. This is a beta of sorts, and we are rolling out features slowly. I'll post another announcement when the videos work on those devices.

Thanks,

Sheldon

trvvn5 05-12-2010 01:25 PM

Thats fantastic. I always end up looking on YouTube on my iphone because the videos on here wouldn't work. It'll be great to be able to go to videos that I know and trust when I can now.

Ronda 05-13-2010 07:39 AM

I was all excited when I got my Droid Eris last week. My first thought was that I would never again have to get up off the couch while knitting and run to my computer to look up a video on this site. I found out quickly that that is not the case, though. :) I still appreciate this site and all you do for us, Sheldon and Amy! Couldn't make it without you!

sheldon 05-13-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronda (Post 1288617)
I was all excited when I got my Droid Eris last week. My first thought was that I would never again have to get up off the couch while knitting and run to my computer to look up a video on this site. I found out quickly that that is not the case, though. :) I still appreciate this site and all you do for us, Sheldon and Amy! Couldn't make it without you!

We hope to have Android (and blackberry) support someday soon. Video and mobile devices have always been tricky. Not all the mobile devices support the same video standards. I think things are headed in the direction where there will be a one size fits all solution and we won't have to do all sorts of wizardry to support all mobile platforms, but that day is probably a year or more off.

I have the site working for Apple mobile devices, which is a big leap forward. I have done some experimenting with Android, but haven't yet hit upon the correct encoding spec. The Android video specs don't seem to as documented as Apple, but I think that will change as I know we are not the only site pushing to get our videos working across the entire mobile landscape. Anyhow, enough geekspeak! :mrgreen: When we are Android ready I'll be sure to post another announcement.

etoilechaude 05-13-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldon (Post 1288628)
When we are Android ready I'll be sure to post another announcement.

Woot! :)