KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sweaty Hands!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99440)

Rosegirl147 06-06-2010 10:02 PM

Sweaty Hands!!!!

Hi, I am working on a peice, but my hands keep getting sweaty! I rub them on my pants; no use. It will just get more sweaty! I am not nervous and I tried millions of hand stuff, but it makes it worse! Is there anything I can do to stop making my hands sweat so I can work on my project smoother and quicker?

Jan in CA 06-07-2010 12:22 AM

I've other people here complain about that, too. I'm not sure what they do so you'll get several responses within the next few days. :thumbsup:

badboy1cdx 06-07-2010 12:59 AM

Sweaty hands! And here I thought I was suffering alone on this one! Rest assured I can sympathize with you on this one....I had considered asking the same question, but was too proud to admit it! :aww:

hyperactive 06-07-2010 04:01 AM

When I knit in hot weather (or with "heat generating" material), I wash my hands with really cold water, every once in a while.
And I tend to hold my knitting differently. If you keep your hands more open and less to the fabric, they "air out" better and stay more dry.

If the sweat makes the stitches slide harder on the needle, I have a trick that I also put into the tip section here:

rub the needle over your scalp (under the hair) so you get the natural hair grease on the needle. That makes the stitches slide much easier.
Just don't poke yourself!

Crycket 06-07-2010 11:14 AM

I have a friend that gets that...(she doesn't knit) and I believe the condition is called Hyperhydrosis.

cacunn 06-07-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendustin7 (Post 1290880)
I have seen my friend who generally put some talc powder on her hand to get rid of this problem as talc powder will absorb the sweat and you will be able to work for more hours.

I wonder if you could sew a small talc bag, similar to the rosin bags used by baseball pitchers, and keep it in a zip-top bag? A piece of tight weave cloth, fold and close on three sides fill with talc and close the last side. When your hands get sweaty reach in the plastic bag and rub the bag between both hands and put the bag back in the plastic bag.

Jan in CA 06-07-2010 11:46 AM

I don't have this problem, but I'm wondering if an antiperspirant spray (not deodorant) would work on hands as well as underarms. I know that the sprays are much dryer than roll-ons. :think:

hyperactive 06-07-2010 01:06 PM

I would not like anything ON my hands.
I find that cold washing with a good soap (to get all sweat residue off) does the best job.
talc... well, not hard to come by and easy enough to dust on. mine sits with my free climbing stuff. But I would not WANT it near any fine knitting. You would have to wash your thing right after making it. OH NO. and my couch? it is lovely dark blue. I like to keep it that way, really! it might work, but not in a pretty way.

Crycket 06-07-2010 02:06 PM

One should wash/soak your FO anyway. Whether it looks like it needs it or not. Everyones hands have oils, excessive or not...and will benefit from a wash...

Beyond which, no matter what your feelings about blocking are, washing and laying flat to dry are something all projects can use!

hyperactive 06-07-2010 02:15 PM

Well, I do not wash all projects right away. Blocking and me are not friends either. But that is my personal problem, I guess. At most I lay things flat and put a moist towel on top.
A lot of knitting suffers with every wash. I do not want to use up too many right away.

But you are right: normally people block their things. And a lot of them do it by washing it. Well, maybe I am a 34 year old dinosaur :D
what would the grease of my hands do to my knitting, I wonder, though?