KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   cbf (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99446)

cbf 06-07-2010 02:45 PM

cbf

I knitted a bowl and then washed it in order to "felt" it and it is still way large from what I wanted. Help!!!!

suzeeq 06-07-2010 03:47 PM

First hopefully the yarn you used is not superwash wool, that won't felt. It needs to be more than 50% to felt. If it is, then try again. How did you wash it? You need to agitate it and use different temperature water (hot, then cold) for it to felt. Some yarns take more than once to felt correctly.

Lisa R. 06-07-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbf (Post 1290918)
I knitted a bowl and then washed it in order to "felt" it and it is still way large from what I wanted. Help!!!!

Just "washing" isn't enough. It needs something in there with it like an old towel or some jeans...somthing to provide friction. Use hot water...and just keep at it. It may take several times through the wash cycle. I keep an eye on mine, and don't let it get to rinse and spin...just keep moving the dial back till it's done...then let it rinse.

You're not supposed to let it spin, because that can cause permanent creases..but I've heard that some folks do.

Jan in CA 06-07-2010 07:36 PM

I've never had to use hot then cold. All I do is use hot water, a pair or two of denim jeans, and small amount of detergent. I check it every 10 min or so and when it's as small as I want I take it out.

If your bowl is too big it may not have anything to do with felting. It can only felt so much as far as I know.

suzeeq 06-07-2010 07:49 PM

I've heard it's the change in temperature as well as the agitation that helps felt it. Maybe not.

And that was another thing I thought of, it may have been knit too large to felt down to the size the OP wants.

AngelaR 06-07-2010 08:10 PM

I put mine in a pillow case with some course fabric, either jeans or khaki pants, then I wash in warm and rinse in cold water. It gets me good results.

knotbadmassagegood 06-07-2010 11:41 PM

no advice from this felter....i aint good at it...sorry....will keep trying..hope you do too.
julia:knitting:

Crycket 06-08-2010 07:25 AM

I think it all has been covered....

Hot water, long cycle - that is turned back a few times, a pair of jeans (that do not run colour, made that mistake once) an a project that is 100% wool or a selection of natural fibre (not cotton) - not superwash. Check the felting process every 5 mins until you have reached desired size.

hyperactive 06-09-2010 10:43 AM

I bought wool to embark on my first felting mission. I was told it loses about 1/3 of size.
Well, if I make house shoes... they will have to fit me, right?
Do I take them out of the machine every few minutes to try them on? Do I felt by hand in a bucket? (for better controll)?

The pattern says to pull them to shape and dry them. Should I use this as a lazy excuse, put them on my feet and let them dry there, while I knit away?
The input above has already told me a lot, thanks to all!

suzeeq 06-09-2010 11:13 AM

Take them out and measure them to find out how much they're shrinking. Figure out the length and width you need to end up in.