KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   OT -Betty Crocker cookbook (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99511)

Sknitter56 06-12-2010 06:03 PM

OT -Betty Crocker cookbook

Does anyone here have one of the old Betty Crocker cookbooks? My sister is looking for a teriyaki marinade recipe that she remembers from that book and she thinks it may have been part of a recipe for kabobs. She remembers it had oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, wine or sherry, but no vinegar. And, also maybe dry mustard. If anyone has that old book and you see a recipe like that, would you mind passing it along?
I must have 40 cookbooks, but I don't have that one.
Thanks
Mary

Jan in CA 06-12-2010 06:06 PM

I do have that cookbook..mine is 36 yrs old. I don't see it under Kabobs, but let me look a little more and I'll see what I can find.

ETA: Under the Kabobs I found Herb Marinade, Hot Basting Sauce, and Gaucho Sauce. None of them had teriyaki. Nothing under marinade and teriyaki. :?? Several sauces, but nothing with teriyaki.

If I find anything I'll post it.

Mike 06-12-2010 09:42 PM

Nothing like that in mine from '61. I have one "Shisk-Kabobs", no marinade.

etoilechaude 06-12-2010 10:12 PM

Pretty sure if you put all the ingredients you listed above into a marinade it would turn out fantastically. I would probably even throw in some chili and/or sesame oil.

I've never cooked with a recipe (baking... sort of different story, I use ratios)... so I just go with what I know tastes good :o)

EDIT: I actually meant to start this with "I thought I had that cookbook around here from my mom, but I can't find it anywhere..."

Sknitter56 06-12-2010 10:28 PM

Jan, Mike and Evan....thank you all for checking. My sister's memory is about as good as mine, which isn't saying much. I like to wing it, also, when it comes to marinades, so maybe if she just throws in what she remembers, it will turn out fine.
Don't you just love it when your better half invites friends over for supper and springs it on you at the last minute??

vaknitter 06-13-2010 07:33 AM

Checked mine as well and no marinades or kabobs. Did you check bettycrocker.com - there are a kabob and teriyaki recipes on their site, no idea how new or old they are.

Sknitter56 06-13-2010 09:46 AM

We did check the website and most of the recipes there use the already bottled marinades, not one made from scratch. We've also checked Cooks.com, allrecipes.com, foodnetwork.com....etc. Guess she's just going to have to throw in what she remembers...which sounds fine to me. Thank you all so much for helping.
Mary

Kimbatigger 06-13-2010 12:40 PM

There is a recipe in the one I bought in 1967 for a Teriyaki sauce for Pork Teriyaki. 1/2 c soy sauce, 1/4 c honey, 1/2 tsp monosodium glutamate, 1 clove garlic minced, or 1/2 tsp ginger. The recipe says to marinate the pork in the sauce overnight, so it is used as a marinade and not as a sauce.

Is this it?

Sknitter56 06-13-2010 12:45 PM

Kim...that just may be the one! I'll pass this along to sis. Thank you so much!

Jan in CA 06-13-2010 12:48 PM

That sounds like it could be it, Kim!