KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knots Blow! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99524)

bambi 06-13-2010 11:09 PM

Knots Blow!

I am knitting a shawl with some very nice sock yarn. I am just knitting along, minding my own business and POW! There is a knot from the manufacturer in the yarn.

I have to stop, unknit, join, reknit....:nails:

Not the first encounter with this problem but very irritating, nevertheless. I didn't expect it from a nice skein.

OffJumpsJack 06-13-2010 11:30 PM

Yep!

I've run into knots in some Bernat yarn but never yet in Red Heart.

Go figure! :shrug:

That same Bernat yarn (denim-rag: a two color twist) also had a skein with clumpy, lumpy sections where the rag color was twice the thickness or more compared to the other color.

Do you cut out the bad section and do a join or just work it in and hope for the best? I got tired of joining after cutting out bulging streaks and just continued on with out more cuts and joins. It was a poncho and no one has noticed it.

But getting a knot in the middle of a skein is so uncool.

Jan in CA 06-14-2010 12:44 AM

It happens with all yarns. In fact I've seen it more with nicer yarns than less expensive. I could be wrong, but, the acrylic fibers seem to be very strong whereas nice wools can actually be broken by hand. Maybe that's why they have to occasionally be knotted? :shrug:

N0obKnitter 06-14-2010 01:29 AM

I've run into defects in the yarn, too. Arrrgghhh

hyperactive 06-14-2010 06:03 AM

Hi!
mostly I am lucky with that so far.
But a giant ball of acrylic for a baby project had more knots than I had pieces in a baby jacket! It was really frustrating to hide so many ties in the end. The piece was tiny!

with more expencive yarn I have been very lucky, though. But maybe finde wools tend to be more apt for that?

I guess, the more expencive a yarn is the less they want to trow it out when it needs to be joined, too. May that be the problem partially?

bambi 06-14-2010 08:31 PM

Jack, I do cut and re-join if the place is really bad.

One would think that there could be a machine to do a join instead of a knot. :??

Since I hate weaving ends, I usually do a Russian join and have gotten so good at it, I even do it with sock yarn.

AngelaR 06-16-2010 08:31 AM

I got several balls of Moda Dea that had huge clumps in the colored parts of the multi-colored yarn. I can see why they discontinued that, it was awful. I keep the remaining balls for things like wash cloths or pot holders. It's all it's any good for.

I hate having to unknot the yarn, make sure you didn't booger it all up and then making sure it looks all nice and neat on the join. I recently got some Patons angora bamboo. I've used two balls and both had knots.

psquidy 06-23-2010 08:00 PM

Elizabeth Zimmerman says if you find three or more knots you should write the manufacturer
Maybe they would send you some free fuzzies for your troubles cloud9

bambi 06-24-2010 10:26 PM

Knit Pick will send you a new ball for 1 knot! I haven't tried the other manufacturers. But KP has such wonderful customer service that I wouldn't expect less.

KnitsKnacks 06-25-2010 07:13 AM

I have only bought two things of yarn (each had like two or three skeins) and both of them had knots. Being the knitting newbie that I am, I just figured that I should just unknot it instead of making a fuss.

My trick? Instead of frogging, just clump the project together and use the needle with the project on it to untangle the knot. Anytime I find a knot, that's what I do.