KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sirdar Snowflake Subs? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99930)

Crycket 07-16-2010 12:20 AM

Sirdar Snowflake Subs?

I am looking at a pattern that calls for Sirdar Snowflake chunky. I they discontinued Snowflake for a while, then brought it back in DK form, and that if I really want to, I can go seeking to find some on Ravelry or otherwise, but I really don't want to spend too much time or money on this project (ie, I don't want to have to pay a load of shipping for a few balls of yarn if I can find something simular elsewhere)

Any ideas of what would be a close match, or is there one out there right now? I haven't seen anything....

khaosx5 07-16-2010 12:53 PM

Hi Crycket:

Mary Maxim still has the chunky in a number of colours...Sirdar has new colours listed on their site.

:knitting:

Crycket 07-16-2010 01:16 PM

I may have to swing in there then....

I looked at diamond yarns site and it didn't look like they had too many colours

khaosx5 07-16-2010 02:09 PM

It is always worth the trip!
:knitting:

Crycket 07-16-2010 05:37 PM

not so much for me lately. I have been mostly disappointed the last few times. They always seem to be out of the bear eyes I am looking for, and they keep a mostly acrylic selection of yarn. Which I have slowly been getting away from...

khaosx5 07-19-2010 09:34 AM

There are some more natural fibres and blends arriving...but because acrylic is less expensive, people tend to gravitate to that...:knitting:

Crycket 07-19-2010 08:52 PM

I know...I worked at Herrschners for a year...so I totally get that...
I have just gotten away from using the acrylic stuff.

I like to think, if it is worth knitting, it is worth the few extra dollars to make it nice. I do still use acrylic for baby stuff though. I do appreciate the Caron Simply Soft. But not Red Heart...and even Bernat and Patons are somewhat disappointing...I don't mind blends, but not 100%. And I have taken a liking to Sirdar...

khaosx5 07-21-2010 11:49 AM

Sirdar has some beautiful yarns...Patons and Bernat are improving their yarns...The Bernat Satin and Patons Shetland Chunky have has a makeover and are more substantial than the limp product that they has become...I agree - I would rather spent a few extra $ for better quality yarn...keep smilin':knitting:

Crycket 07-21-2010 02:13 PM

That is really good that they are improving some of their yarns. I don't think I have seen the new and improved Satin...or for that matter the Shetland Chunky. Mind you I never thought the chunky was that limp. Satin was horrible for anything but throws!

I totally hope Sirdar joins the ranks of available yarns in places. It is so much nicer! I have a bunch of escape waiting to be dealt with!

khaosx5 07-21-2010 03:11 PM

That is nice yarn - I like the click too...:knitting: