View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I don't think I can answer all of your questions, but I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

Back:

End on RS
Does it mean should I stop after knitting the right side or after knitting the wrong side row? If I am doing stockinette stitch, should I stop after the knit row or the purl row?

End after knitting the right side (knit row).

Change to larger needles
Should I slip the stitches from one needle to another knitwise or purlwise?

Neither- just knit onto the larger needles. Put one of the larger ones in your right hand and knit with it till all the stitches are on it, then get the other of the larger needles and off you go.

dec 20(20-22-22-24) sts evenly spaced across 82(90-100-108-118) sts

I do k2tog after every 5 stitch?

That sounds right to me, but someone else might want to check it too...

Shaping armholes:

Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts at beg of the next 2 rows 70(78-86-92-100) sts

Why only beginning of rows? Won't this make the piece asymmetric?

It won't be asymmetric because you'll bind off on one side when you start one row, then when you turn the work around to do the next row and bind off at the beginning of that row, you'll be working the other side.

Dec 1 st each side every RS row 8(10-11-12-14) times 54(58-64-68-72) sts
I decrement only on RS and not WS?

Yup!

Trouble starts when I come to Front. I just don't understand what I am supposed to do.

Shape Armholes and V-Neck: Next Row (RS): Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts, work until there are 34(38-42-45-49) sts on RH needle, sl center 2 sts onto holder, join another ball of yarn and k to end. Work both sides at once.

As the pattern continues, it becomes all the more complicated. Is there a tutorial which I can use?
You're working from bottom to top, so when you get to the V-neck you put those two center stitches (bottom of the 'V') on a holder (safety pin or waste yarn or whatever) and then knit the right shoulder and left shoulder separately with separate balls of yarn.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
Ivy (12-11-2007)