View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
LindaUtah
Casting On

Almost too many years ago to count, a lady in a yarn store got me started on this scarf pattern. It proved to be a great pattern, easy as pie, and helped me learn to knit.

1. Cast on an even number of stitches on straight needles until you have the width you want the finished scarf to be. If you want an 8 inch wide scarf, for example, cast on stitches until it looks like they are about 8 inches wide, always stopping when you have an even number of stitches on the needle. I recently made 3 inch wide scarves for my toddler granddaughters for Christmas. For those, I think I cast on about 24 stitches of light to medium weight yarns.

2. K1, slip next stitch over as if to purl, K1. Continue this pattern until the scarf is the length you want.

3. You will find you have knit a tube scarf on your straight needles. Separate the stitches, putting even stitches on one stitch holder and odd stitches on a second stitch holder.

4. Turn the scarf inside out.

5. Put the stitches back onto a straight knitting needle and bind off.

6. I usually add fringe to the ends and the scarf is done!

I hope this turns out to be a fun scarf for you to try. I have one I made for myself a very long time ago out of wool. It's the warmest winter scarf I've ever owned. If you use a synthetic, lighter weight yarn you will have a scarf that is wearable in different seasons.
LindaUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaUtah For This Useful Post:
CafeAlaStef (01-09-2008)