View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
KitNKnitN
Casting On

Hi! I knit both in Continental and English. I use either for different reasons. I have a bad right wrist so obviously knitting for long lengths of time using English get uncomfortable and even downright painful with all the work my right hand has to do to feed the yarn and work the stitch so I switch to Continental which more equally distributes the workload to both my hands.

I find that certain patterns and situations are easier for me to work in either Continental as opposed to English and vise versa. Example:

* It's easier for me to work with multiple DPN (double-pointed needles) like knitting the crown of a hat or small cuffs using the English method.

* It's easier for me to work knit stitches with the Continental method so if a pattern is worked in mostly knit stitches I'll use Continental. I can pick up some hardcore speed using Continental.

* Working in 1x1 or 2x2 ribbing it's easier for me to use the English Method. It's easier for me to move the yarn from the front (for purl stitches) to the back (for knit stitches) using this method.

I've noticed that I knit slightly LOOSER using the Continental method. In order to compensate, I wrap the thread around my index (pointer finger) TWICE instead of once (as illustrated on this website in videos). It helps to pick up the slight extra slack.

So I would suggest in order to get tighter knitting, simply wrap the thread around your index finger one more time and conversely if you want looser stitches only wrap the thread around your index finger-- you can loosely thread the rest of the yarn over and under your other fingers but don't WRAP them. works well for me.

Good luck!
KitNKnitN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitNKnitN For This Useful Post:
CognizantAmiga (02-01-2008), Rabbitrescuer (02-02-2008)