Thread: Jacket pattern
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Armhole Shaping for the BACK:
Dec 1 st each side on next row, then every 6th row 6 (7, 8) times – 63 (77, 87) sts.

Hi Carol!

As an example...let's say you just finished Row 0...maybe on that Row 0 you were instructed to Bind off 5 at the beginning of that row.

So, now let's address the instructions (in red) above:
Here is what you will be doing about them:

Row 1: Dec 1 st at each side edge
Rows 7, 13, 19, 25, 31, 37, 43, 49: Dec 1 st at each side edge

All other rows inbetween the decrease rows are pattern as usual, with no decreasing.

I have knit hundreds of pullovers and cardigans. I still write out my pattern directions, such as I did for you above. I also circle each decrease row# after I have done it, to keep track of where I'm at.
Sometimes it helps to put a stitch marker XX stitches in from each end, to keep track of the declining number of stitches. You will be most likely to forget the decrease at the end of a row. By placing stitch markers to separate the stitches that will be decreased from the main body of stitches, you can easily ascertain if you missed a decrease.

GUIDELINES for pattern reading:
1) When instructions say "
dec 1 st each edge on next row"...it means THE NEXT row. That's it.

2) Some armhole shaping has to be done from the RS facing you.
Some armhole shaping for the other side has to be done with the
WS facing you. (as in the case of a Left Front and a Right Front)

That's what patterns mean when they 'shorthand' the pattern for the Right Side Armhole Shaping. Example: do armhole shaping as for the Left Front, reversing the shaping.

Other KH knitters will help us and expand on my post, which is by no means as extensive as it could be.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
2poochmama (02-26-2008)