View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Mike
Working the Gusset

It really REALLY depends.
Are these store bought pheasant or hunted pheasant?
Since they're breasted out I'll assume hunted by someone who thinks plucking takes too long. If they are hunted pheasant, are they wild or pen raised (probably pen raised this time of year if they're fresh)? Are they shot up or "lead free"?
Also how they were handled after the shot affects the flavor and thus the recipe.

Slice off a small piece, cook it and taste to see what you think would go good. Your nose, eyes and mouth can take you farther than a recipe can.

It's basically a low fat chicken (although I've had pen raised that were as fat as any chicken).
Treat it like chicken with the knowledge that it will tend to dry out faster.

(I've seen recommendations that pheasant should be pink but I can't bring myself to eat pink fowl of any kind. I cook it until the juices run clear.)

My SiL did a good one with chicken breast fillets that would go good with pheasant. It was something like pan fried/roasted with butter and some spices (sorry but that's how my cooking is, very seat of the pants, spur of the moment).
Lemon grass, chamomile, parsley or chervil would probably go good.

One that seems to be "ol' reliable" for all hunters and all small game.
Put a layer of rice in a casserole dish, put the meat in, layer a little more rice, some cream of mushroom soup and water. Cover and bake.
It's not bad but I think it takes away the flavor of the meat.

If they're shot up beyond all recognition I'd boil them into soup. Break them apart well and the shot will sink to the bottom of the pot.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote