View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
Jeremy
Mod Squad

In so far as applying to medical school, where you go undergrad does matter. My older son went to the University of Penn. About 90% of the pre meds there got into medical school. He got into all but two he applied to. The daughter of a friend of ours had exactly the same GPA with a slightly worse score on the MCAT. She went to a well rated state school in New York and got rejected by all of her choices but one and was wait listed at that one. If she is serious about med school keep that in mind.

My younger son goes to Washington University in St.Louis and I cannot say enough good things about the place. They are wonderful to deal with and are generous in giving financial aid. The campus is set at the edge of Forrest Park which is bigger than Central Park in New York and has more to offer. The setting, although its in St. Louis, is suburban. They are very service oriented. One example is the fact that every single day they have a dean on call. Any student at all can walk into that office without an appointment and present their problem. My son has had his problems there but they have stuck with him 100% of the way.
Their medical school is almost always either number 1 or 2 in the country.

I would highly recommend looking at competitve schools in the midwest. Because schools prize geographical diversity, she will get into a much better school than if she stuck with the east coast schools.

I would also take a very close look at Canadian colleges. Even for for foreign students, the tuition rate is dramatically lower than American colleges. Macleans Magazine ranks colleges the same way that US News and World Report does.

Finally, I would go along with all those who recommend going to the colleges themselves. Some colleges which look good on paper just send off the wrong vibe in person. The colleges look on it as a positive in terms of admission if you've actually made the effort to come before applying.