Thread: "Designer" Cats
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I know there are lots of animals that need homes, but I don't really see an issue with these high priced cats. Both dogs and cats have been bred over many years with specific goals like to obtain a dog that is a keen hunter, or a cat with no hair. I don't think the Ashera is any different other than it's price, but I'm sure when the retriever was first bred successfully, it had a hefty price tag too. The Ashera just a new breed in the vast lexicon of dog and cat domestic breeds. And a quite stunning one at that.
The difference is the established breeds developed over many years and many generations. These dogs were bred for a specific purpose, not as "an accessory". The purpose of breeding a particular dog was ALWAYS TO BETTER THE BREED.

Nowadays, however, dogs and these designer cats are bred for one reason. The $$$$$. Code of Ethics breeders are few and far between, while puppy mills flourish. These designer cats are the same thing.

We are seeing, cancer, heart/breathing/orthopedic problems. Temperament/aggressiveness is also on the rise in ALL breeds.

All due to indiscriminate breeding.

Nope, I am vehemently 100% against designer cats, dogs, gold fish anything!

I wish folks who buy these animals would take all that money and donate it to rescues and shelters. And take in a few of the poor little guys who really need a loving home.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (03-19-2008)