View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Ok, let me throw this onto the pile. I learned knitting continental (actually combined but I didn't know the difference at the time, all I knew was I held my yarn in my left hand) and I knit that way until last year when I wanted to start teaching knitting classes. I had heard that it was easier to learn knitting English style (although Kelley Petkun disagrees) and that's how both my kids were learning at school so I thought I'd give it a try.

I picked it up fairly quickly and now, I love knitting both ways. There's something very meditative and relaxing about doing a garter stitch scarf and knitting English. If I were to knit garter and use continental, I knit too fast and kind of miss the pleasure of the stitch along the way.

That being said, I don't purl well English style and much prefer continental for stitches that require me to mix knits and purls. That includes anything other than straight stockinette or garter.

Really, it's all about the knitting.

And I just wanted to add that my garter stitch is much more even since I've been knitting English. I never liked doing garter stitch continental style. My rows always came out kind of wonky and uneven. When I garter English style my rows are nice and straight. Maybe it has to do with the way the stitches sit on the needle when I knit them off but it's much easier for me to work them English.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote