View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

You may all knit at my funeral- I won't mind I promise!

I would not knit at a play, concert, during church, at lunch with a friend... I would knit on the bus/train/plane, while waiting in a waiting room or for someone somewhere- or just about anywhere else. (anyone else having a Green Eggs & Ham moment right now?) I went to a b-day party for my niece @ their house this weekend and brought my knitting to show (they were underwhelmed- why do I do this to people? ) but didn't knit while there.

I recently met a friend for coffee at a coffee shop and knitted for a little bit, but when we really started talking I put it away. I didn't want her to think I wasn't listening, although she didn't mind. Plus I kept purling when I should be knitting and vice versa.

It came up on another thread on Ravelry that many people focus better when they're doing something with their hands. (while justifying them knitting in church-I am a UU therefore liberal but wow- no way would I do that during a sermon!) I can understand that- but would never want someone to think I wasn't paying attention or had to have any more "entertainment" than their company.

As for the tight sleeve issue- I do need to be able to somewhat concentrate if there is any sort of pattern going on or I make mistakes. I am pretty good at knitting without looking if it's stockinette or garter all the way across. I don't notice a big variety in my tension- but then again I haven't knit sleeves yet!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote