View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
The thought of actually putting something on my eyeball just never seemed like a good idea to me. I just go with the normal glasses.
At age 11, my glasses were having to be strengthened every year and at the time, I was told that wearing contacts would slow this down and it did. I have astigmatism, a hazy outline on hazy main objects except for within 12-14" of my eyes. Believe me, you don't want me driving without contacts. After wearing them for several years, only had to have them strengthened about every 5-6 years... they've been a sight-saver for me. Glasses actually have a short distance before they correct the vision and having side vision means turning your head. With contacts, although strange to put in the eye, this side vision is corrected and available. I'm not a candidate for lasic surgery so contacts will have to do.

Strangely though, when I reached 40 and a time when most people's eyes start needing reading glasses, my nearsitedness actually improved and I've had the same strength lenses for the past ten years. My eye appt. is next week and I suspect that they'll change them to a lower strength. I do wear glasses about 2 hours of the day. There is an extreme difference in my site with the glasses as opposed to lenses although they're the same prescription.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote