View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Lipanj View Post
Artlady,

Hi, I'm new to the knitting forum. Just want to say I love the hat and I'm in the process of making it. I'm at the point where you start to decrease, and suddenly confusion hit. When decreasing, the instructions say to keep the pattern. But not to sure how....ok, it doesn't take much to challenge me. For instance, the pattern is p2, k3....but when you decrease stitches does the pattern change. Can a once purl or knit stitch become the opposite due to less stitches..(Ok, I'm confusing myself as I type this, probably you too.) HELP Thank you.
By "keeping pattern"...it simply means to knit the remaining knit stitches and purl the remaining purl stitches as they present themselves to you. As you decrease your way to the top...you will be losing stitches within the K3P2 sequencing. So, just keep knitting the knits and purling the purls...otherwise you'll end up with seed stitch!

FYI: I put stitch markers on the needles when the decreasing began. It helped me keep track. They are a bit of a nuisance to move and jockey around...but they helped me a lot. (if you don't have official stitch markers...use teeny rubber bands, or even yarn markers. I made my own yarn markers by tying yarn around a big fat needle, tighten the knot real good, clip off the excess yarn...voila! a yarn stitch marker. I used these yarn markers for a project wherein regular stitch markers got in the way)

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Lipanj (08-26-2008)