View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #107
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
My sentiments exactly!

People who watch me knit always say, "You know, you could knit faster if you used the Continental method". To which I reply, "I ENJOY knitting English style, and I'm not in a hurry."

There's no reason for me to RACE when I'm knitting. I want to RELAX when I knit. Plus, I like seeing each stitch form, with careful attention.
Hi, Shandeh!

I wanted particularly to write and thank you for your comments above. It really gave me a boost!

I'm always looking for more efficient, and faster, ways to get projects done. I set myself a goal when I "re-discovered" knitting last year, of making afghans for each of my close family members. Right now, I'm on #8 of 9. It's been challenging, for sure, and I learned tons along the way. (KH has been particularly helpful, as has this forum.)

Maybe because the recipients of the afghans are so tickled to get one (and those still waiting are dropping BIG hints about where their afghans are!) I got a little too focused on speeding right along!

BUT, when I read your post, it put me back in touch with the true pleasures of the work. I remembered the magic of making something beautiful with what virtually amounts to sticks and "string", the magic we all call knitting!

I've been working on learning to knit socks, something that interested me and that wasn't as mammoth as an afghan. I LOVE knitting socks, but my first couple of pair weren't exactly spectacular, which I guess is to be expected in a way since I was just learning.

I'd just started my third pair of socks when I read your post and decided to really watch "each stitch form, with careful attention."

The results have been amazing! I've had trouble with the other two pairs getting them the same length at the cuff and at the sole. But having paid attention to how the stitches were forming it was possible for me to get an accurate count of rows. Now, as I'm coming down the stretch on the second sock of the pair, it's actually becoming a "twin" of the first!

And I've enjoyed the process so much, being mindful of the peace and serenity that comes with noticing all the little details and enjoying them.

Of course, I like to move right along on projects. After all, there are so many socks (hats, scarves, afghans, etc.) and so little time! Added to which, now that I'm winding up the afghans, the clan will start barking for socks next!

But I don't think I'll ever get caught up in the "speed trap" again. Thanks for sharing that wonderful bit of wisdom!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-08-2008), salmonmac (04-21-2011), Shandeh (09-08-2008), sunshinejp (11-19-2009)