View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Turning the Heel
Well, it depends on what you are looking for, if you want an all around knitting book you could borrow from your library (for a test run) or buy these books to name a few.

Knitter's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to the Principles and Techniques of Handknitting by Montse Stanley

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman

Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book

and the ubiquitous Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes by Elizabeth Zimmerman

(I also like Jacqueline Fee's The Sweater Workshop you get to work on a little windsock type thing while learning basic fitting methods)

and in those moments of crisis it is nice to have a book or two on how to help fix mistakes (which we never make, they are learning experiences ):

The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face ... by Margaret Radcliffe

Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus

If you decide to buy any of these books you might want to purchase them at or
They tend to be cheaper than picking them up at a local B&N, Borders, etc.

By the by have you seen these two cable scarves ( from an older issue of Knitty. They are nice to wear since they are reversible.
Judge: Madame, either you will have to cease knitting or I will have to cease judging. Which shall it be?

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)