View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Well, it depends on what you are looking for, if you want an all around knitting book you could borrow from your library (for a test run) or buy these books to name a few.

Knitter's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to the Principles and Techniques of Handknitting by Montse Stanley

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman

Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book

and the ubiquitous Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes by Elizabeth Zimmerman

(I also like Jacqueline Fee's The Sweater Workshop you get to work on a little windsock type thing while learning basic fitting methods)

and in those moments of crisis it is nice to have a book or two on how to help fix mistakes (which we never make, they are learning experiences ):

The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face ... by Margaret Radcliffe

Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus

If you decide to buy any of these books you might want to purchase them at Amazon.com or http://www.knitpicks.com.
They tend to be cheaper than picking them up at a local B&N, Borders, etc.

Katrina

By the by have you seen these two cable scarves (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTelbac.html) from an older issue of Knitty. They are nice to wear since they are reversible.

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)