View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Crochet vs. Knitting
Originally Posted by craftymomma View Post
I am working on a bootie pattern (with various sizes hence the different #'s in the parentheses), and it is as follows:

Ch (9,11,12,14). Make 3 sc in 2nd ch from hk. Sc (3,4,4,5). Hdc 1. Dc(2,3,4,5). Make 7 dc in last ch.

Ok, so I have figured out that I need to start by making a chain with 11 stitches (i am making the 2nd size) and that i need to go into my 2nd chain from the hook to start my single crochet, but thats when I start getting confused with the directions....

Is crochet like knitting in that you work stitch to stitch or can you keep crocheting in the same stitch?
CraftyMomma, this is one big way in which knitting is different than crochet; each stitch is like a pickup and bind off (of the previous stitches*) leaving only one loop on the hook. As Becky Morgan said, you can work multiple stitches in a single stitch (and also true in knitting). I am accustomed to seeing commas use to separate stitch by stitch in patterns both for knit and crochet; here it appears periods are used

Ch (9,11,12,14). Make 3 sc in 2nd ch from hk. Sc (3,4,4,5). Hdc 1. Dc(2,3,4,5). Make 7 dc in last ch.

Lets break it down:

You got the chain 11 right for the second size.

Make 3 sc in 2nd ch from hk. This is an increase (and shaping the heal); all 3 sc go in the same chain, the 2nd ch from hk. (You now have 9 ch left to work).

Sc (3,4,4,5). This means you single crochet in each of the next 4 stitches; think of it as like "k(3,4,4,5)" (9-4 = 5 ch remain).

Hdc 1. Crochet has stitches of different heights so this is like using a short row for shaping in knit; the Hdc is one size taller than a sc. (4 ch remain).

Dc(2,3,4,5). As before this is similar to a K3 for your size so DC in each of the next 3 stitches. (DC is one step taller than the hdc; 1 ch remain).

Make 7 dc in last ch. This is another increase (and shaping the toe); all 7 dc in the last ch.

This does look like the center of the sole of the bootie, so you are working in the round (or oblong if you want). I would expect the next instructions to continue in the back side of the starting chain.
Dc(2,3,4,5). Hdc 1. Sc (3,4,4,5).
And maybe place marker. The shape is oblong but the toe of the sole would be wider than the heal (an elongated egg shaped) so you may not need to place a marker for the end of the first round.

Let us know how you progress with this project. Good luck.

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote