View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
GinnyG
Instepping Out

What a powerful essay. I am going to forward it to my own grown daughter.

Being an "old lady" I could write pages, coming of age in the 60's when no one belived in something called "sexual abuse"when like many I experienced the trauma of being abused by a family "friend" , entering the work force in the 70's when sexual harressment was the norm (I got fired from a job for refusing a sexual request from a boss), and moving on to an an abusive marriage in the 80's ( that was certainly predictable) and feeling like it was all MY fault somehow. Then raising teenagers in the 90's when the world became a totally "sex scarey" place.

Is it any wonder that I could never quite understand my own daughters very different attitudes and values.

I was talking to DH's daughter last night, who lives in NYC, she said the only men she will "date", and by dating she means going out for a night of clubbing, a show or just to have a good time, are her gay men friends because those are the only men she trusts to not be sexually aggressive. How sad. I am glad she has someone safe to have fun with but sad that she is limiting her opportunity for true romance.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
Marria (12-25-2008)