View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
marlajap
1st Leg of the Journey

Ouchies...
I'm an English knitter, too, and I certainly did do the pushing thing for quite some time when I was learning. My Harmony and Options needles pretty well broke me of the habit of pushing with the pads of my fingers - not just because it hurt, but also because it just isn't necessary, they are so nice and slick and pointy! :D

I never push my left needle with right hand at all now, but I do tend to sort of guide the right needle with the side of my left pointer finger. It's getting an awesome callous, just as Mason commented. Note, however, that this is a really bad thing to do with the Options dpns! I bought those when they went on sale for $19.99 at KP a while ago, and I find that I do not particularly care for them. Not only are the a bit heavier than my Harmony dpns (which I adore), they are also the pointiest darned things since sewing needles! I actually cut my finger from the guiding-with-the-left thing! (Oy!) Luckily, I hinted some completely broadly to husband that I wanted the full set of Harmony dpns for the holidays that he did actually provide those as a gift (along with "No Sheep for You", a must for this wool-allergic knitter, and "Sensational Knitted Socks"! Woot!)
blogging at http://knitvspurl.wordpress.com
marlajap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marlajap For This Useful Post:
Marria (01-01-2009), utcarsons (12-31-2008)