View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Yarn Storage...
Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
WELCOME to yarn heaven! My DH doesn't mind the collecting of yarn, but he's getting a bit tired of it being ALL over the house. He keeps asking me what kind of piece of furniture he can buy me to keep it all organized.
Hi, Carey!

I actually had to buy a cabinet for my yarn, it was following me EVERYWHERE around the house!

I got a Sauder brand 2 door cabinet. It has one long shelf inside across the top and then it's divided down the middle with three adjustable shelves on each side. STASH HEAVEN!!!

I got some inexpensive canvas bins from Wally-Mart and started organizing! What a relief!!! Now I know where everything resides in its labeled (YES, LABELED!) bin and all my needles and gadgets have their own shelf!

The only thing is that, with the doors closed, I think the yarn breeds in there because I've had to use a separate chest for some of the larger acrylic skeins. I couldn't have possibly bought more....nah, impossible! Well, maybe...

But the bottom line is that I find I'm so much more productive with everything right at hand. Projects are moving right along and anything that's "in progress" can be bagged and put right on the "in progress" shelf! It's heaven!

So maybe you can take your husband's offer to find something to organize and store your stash in. After all, yarn is nice and squishy and will compress when you need to stuff more in a bin or shelf! And then, too, space bags come in handy, the kind where you use your vacuum to suck out all the air!!!

So have fun with your organization and watch out for the breeding potential of the yarn!

And Evona - congratulations on building your stash!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
evona (01-05-2009)