View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by gargoylelib View Post
...but I have a 48" bust measurement and I haven't been too sure about upsizing. I keep hearing that it's very stretchy so I don't know that I would need to upsize. I don't want to go to all the trouble of upsizing the pattern if it is unneccessary but I don't want to knit it up only to find that it doesn't fit well.
Ugh! Libbie
Hi Libbie!

I looked at the schematics for this pattern. The size 47.5" size gives this information: at the widest part for the chest just before the raglan decreases begin is 14" for each FRONT, and 23.5" for the BACK...a total of 51.5" around...which allows some for seaming.

However, why couldn't you plan to cast on additional stitches for the FRONTS ONLY...treating them as residents of the front edges where the buttons and buttonholes go.

Do all your side decreasing as per usual...but you will know (and you could place a stitch marker at each point) that you have an additional, let's say 6 st living along the FRONT'S edges. The gauge is 12 st = 4"...so 6 extra stitches for each FRONT will increase your bust area by 4". That oughta do.

Well, give it some thought. The FRONTS are pretty plain...and it seems like you should be able to add some extra room for God's Gifts!

I know that these 6 extra stitches will make the FRONTS wider from the bottom up. Another idea is: cast on the recommended number of stitches, but don't decrease as much or as dramatically, leaving out 6 decreases for each FRONT. This is another way to get back those 6 extra stitches without casting on more stitches from the get-go.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote