View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

I was pretty sure I didn't *want* to match the gauge on the ball band - but I did. The fabric is a lot lighter than I expected - the pictures look almost plush and chunky, but that could be the rib and cabling vs. stockinette.

I was very pleased by how washing and a small amount of blocking (only enough to straighten the rows a little) made the fabric behave. The "stockinette curl" disappeared totally, the stitches evened out, and the wool softened dramatically. It didn't shrink at all (still 20 st and 27 rows to 4 in) even in warm water. My swatch is a good 8 in x 6 1/2 in with a garter border, so I had plenty of places to measure multiple times.

Looks like I'm going to go up a size knitting - there is NO way I want this fabric to have bigger stitches than it does, the yarn just won't support it. If I modify it, it'll be in the length where it calls for knitting even for a certain distance, and in the sleeves. I'll probably reverse the cable on one side - I'm fussy about symmetry, and holding the cable needle to the front rather than the back is no big deal.

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrishL1975 For This Useful Post:
Marria (02-09-2009)