View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fanfair View Post
I've been knitting for a year or so. I'm no expert, but I can knit a mean garter stitch scarf!

So I got a calendar of knitting projects, a new pattern every day, and every month they have a "month block" with a little holiday motif. Well there are 12 of them. And they are meant to be placed in a field of little white 4x4 squares.

Soooo, staring at my tiny little left over balls of yarn, I decided not to follow the pattern (a serious habit of mine) and make a field of little blocks of my own. Casting on 22 sts, knit 2 rows, knit a pattern for 22 more rows and finishing with knit 2 rows, bind off.

So far it's been good to eat up stray yarn, and it's giving me a chance to practice my ribbing and small patterns. Seed stitch and differant kinds of borders and stuff I'd feel obligated to for a long period of time if I were to put them in a larger project. I can even practice tiny cable samples without ruining a scarf or sweater. And I can make it as big or little as I like, and perhaps add to it if it's not big enough. I'm going get good joining practice also... make work on differant kinds of joins and crotchet borders...

thanks,
FanFair

That is a neat idea. Where did you find the calendar?