View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I am spot on with the count until I get to the last 9 stitches..there it ends by yo k4 for sleeve, yo k2 for seam yo k10 to end of row...there are only 9 stitches at that point!!! My count is correct until that second increase row...I have done it over and over but can't get past this point...
Thanks for you help, I read the other post and it did not help me...I don't want to give up on this pattern but I am afraid I might have to.
Thanks for your time.
Ann

I got your e-mail and would like to help you if I can. I don't have the whole pattern to look at and that would be helpful, or at least all of it up to the point you are having trouble. I understand from your comment at KH that you were making the very same pattern as the original poster on the thread called "Increasing rows with seam rows". The pattern as she wrote it out had a mistake in the number of yarn over increases given in the only increase row it gives. Then it just says to repeat that row 12 more times with an even row between (it has garter at each end but is all purl in the middle as given there). Is your pattern that very one?

You say in your message:
"I am spot on with the count until I get to the last 9 stitches..there it ends by yo k4 for sleeve, yo k2 for seam yo k10 to end of row...there are only 9 stitches at that point!!!" You have there that you "k2 for the seam", you only k1 for the seam each time no matter which row of increases you are on. If you did 'yo, k5 for the sleeve, yo, k1 for the seam, yo, k10' you would have 10. But did you knit 2 for the seam at each of the other seams? If so it should not have come out as well as it did.

You are knitting a front then yarning over and putting a seam stitch (knit it), and then doing another yarn over. Next you knit the first sleeve, yarn over, knit 1 seam st and yarn over again. Then you knit the back stitches, yarn over, knit 1 seam st, and yarn over again. Knit the second sleeve, yarn over and knit 1 seam st and yarn over again and then knit across the other front piece. So you have a knit seam stitch that is at each side of the two sleeves and before and after each of the seam stitches you have a yarn over. So you have 4 seam stitches and 8 yarn overs.

You begin with 46 stitches and you do 8 yarn overs on the first increase row--46+8=54 which is what it says you have at the end of that first increase row.

The first increase row looks like this (if formatting doesn't ruin it)

---------o-o---o-o------------------o-o---o-o---------
k9 okok3 oko k18 okok3 oko k9

K9, yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, k18, yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, k9

The second increase row will add one stitch in each front and each side of the back and 2 in each sleeve so it will look like this.
----------o-o-----o-o--------------------o-o-----o-o----------

K10, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k20, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k10.

The wrong side rows you keep the 4 on each edge in garter (so knit them) then purl all the stitches in the middle including the yarn overs.

The 3rd increase row would be: K11, yo, k1, yo, k7, yo, k1, yo, k22, yo, k1, yo, k7, yo, k1, yo, k11.

You keep adding 1 to each front, 2 to each sleeve and 2 to the back on each increase row for a total of 8 increases.

Last edited by MerigoldinWA : 09-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
girlmariner (09-24-2009)