View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I've only been spinning for 4 months, but it sounds like you either don't have enough leader out for the amount of twist, or you are drafting too thickly for the weight of the spindle. When I first began spinning I did park and draft where you twist the spindle and allow twist to build up in the yarn already on the spindle then stop the spindle and hold it under your arm or between your legs and draft out more fiber and allow the twist to move up into it. I focused on doing this for a few days and without realizing it soon I was spinning without the park and draft. I still revert back to it if I'm working with a new fiber and have trouble drafting until I get the hang of it.
The best help I found was reading http://www.abbysyarns.com/ from beginning to end and watching her videos. She also has a book coming out called Respect the Spindle.
It does take persistance and time to get the hang of it, but I am hooked on spindle spinning and currentlly have no desire to move on to a wheel.
Ravelry has a number of spinning groups and I learned a lot from Beginning Spinners and the Spindlers groups especially.
Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.