View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
SusanAnn
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by catwitch View Post
I am concerned as breast cancer runs in my family. I looked up what the policy is in the UK (I am not sure this is true, as I don't live there or know anyone who does), but just by looking into it on a few websites, I read that their Gov't healthcare system there has guidelines of offering mammograms only to women aged 50-70 and only every 3 years!! I read that they were thinking of extending this to aged 47-73 year olds. Is this what we have to look forward to with Govt healthcare?? There is a diffence between having to pay for it yourself and having it not available at all.
I would like to do some research into what exactly is offered in the UK and Canadian Govt healthcare system in regard to mammograms. Does anyone have knowledge of this?
I live in the UK and I can confirm that our healthcare system does not offer mandatory screening until you are fifty years old...however once you are fifty I think that you get yearly screening.

However, it isn't as cut and dried as that....I unfortunately come from a high risk family and therefore have been considered eligible for yearly mammograms in my late forties.

Our system certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't quite as all or nothing as you might imagine...personally I am more worried about the infection rates and poor standards of hygiene in our hospitals at the moment.
SusanAnn is offline   Reply With Quote