View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by mullerslanefarm View Post
If they had plenty of bicycles they were scrapping out instead of having to buy spoked, precision ball bearing wheels and had a pile of red oak lumber laying around. And all the other bits and parts needed plus putting them together with dowel and screws. Plus 3 huge bobbins that have 3 ratios ... maybe, just maybe it would be a rip off. As it is, I think the Fidelis is priced very good for the materials and knowledge they have in it.
I agree 1000% percent with MullersLaneFarm on this one. And she hasn't even mentioned the skills it takes to craft a flyer, a whorl, a drive wheel, an orifice, a bobbin, footmen, treadles and a crank that all work smoothly together.

Can you make a flyer wheel out of $30 worth of bits and pieces? Probably, and probably with very simple tools. Can you make a good wheel that spins well and lets you make decent yarn? I'll say yes when I see it.

On the other hand, here's a link to a DIY cardboard charkha that cost about fifty cents to make. http://www.rabbitgeek.com/charka.html