View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I cannot believe my luck! I saw something, somewhere (maybe here) about how to make this thing from old wooden sewing spools, where you attach them together with floral wire, then label them, and run your circulars through the hole to keep up with what size circs you have. Anyway, I put an ad on Freecycle asking if anyone had any of these spools and I got a response from this wonderful lady in Savannah who said she had lots and lots and would be glad to give them to me. I had mentioned what I wanted them for and she wrote back that she, too, was a knitter. She gave me directions to her home and I went by there to pick them up this afternoon and we met. She's originally from Oregon, but has been living here for 30 years. Her name is Liz and she's a librarian at the local college, though currently unemployed. She's been knitting for a long time, and had on this incredible fair isle sweater...and she steeks! and does intarsia! We hit it off immediately. She gave (loaned) me several EZ tapes and EZ's "Knitting Without Tears" without a second thought and just told me to bring them back whenever. They're VHS tapes, so I think I'll have them transferred to DVD so I can watch them as my old VHS tape thing is no longer working. I think I have a new knitting mentor that can help me through this sweater. She showed me all the sweaters she's done and they are absolutely gorgeous!
I can't believe my luck!
I'm having a really good feeling about this project.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote