View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #19
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Reply to I'm baccckkk!!!
Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
I'm baccckkk!!!!

Got the "head" portion done, now it's time to go around the opening and pick up stitches to make the ribbing around the face.

Since I'll be working with unattached yarn, what is the best method to make sure the new stitches will not come unraveled? I've been watching the "picking up stitches" video, and get the idea, but the video is using yarn that's already worked into the project. Do I just find a place and tie a knot and then start picking up stitches from there? The way the pattern reads, there is not even any yarn from the previous knitting to try and weave it together with.

Thanks for any advice! (And, if anyone else has done the citizenSAM helmet liner pattern, can you tell me when you switched to the double pointed needles? This just said "when necessary....and I need details! Because by the time I figure it's necessary, I ended up with oddball numbers on each needle, and ended up with a loose stitch that I managed to work in somehow. ugh)
1. Picking up stitches. When I need to pick up stitches in this type of circumstance, I begin the first stitch by leaving a long tail - at least 4 inches - so I can weave it in using duplicate stitches. This will make a stretchy, almost invisible securing of the yarn without knots. Just pull a loop through where you want to start leaving the long tail and continue picking up the stitches. When you get back to that first stitch, knit or purl as needed but be sure to tighten the tension on that loose stitch as you turn your work so it doesn't separate too much. Once you have completed the area you are working, then thread that long tail thru a needle and duplicate weave the ends into the knitted fabric.

2. You need to change to the double pointed needles when you have tight tension on the circular needles. You don't want your stitches to have to stretch around the circular needles. As you knit and decrease you will have to manipulate the remaining stitches on the DPNs so that you have the ones you need to knit together on the same needle. I do this by simply slipping the 'missing' stitch from one needle to the next so I can knit 2 together from the same needle. You will often be working with a different number of stitches on each DPN so don't let that worry you. When I get down to the next to last row, I make sure that I am ending so that I have a free needle to knit the last round onto. That will make it easier to finish the round smoothly.

Please contact me if you have more questions. I'll try to answer as soon as I can but I'll be off-line most of the next couple of days as DH is in hospital again - surgery tomorrow which hopefully will stop all the bowel obstructions.

Kae
kae1crafts is offline   Reply With Quote