View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #27
kae1crafts
1st Leg of the Journey

Helmet Liner materials
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
HMMM. While it isn't specificly mentioned I have some oh-so-soft alpaca I just finished spinning in very dark brown. It would be much nicer than pure wool, even merino. I guess the reason for wool is fire hazard reasons, and alpaca would certainly qualify for this. But sometimes these organizations can be so opinionated, and reject perfectly good items that should be just as good - and in this case superior -to what they recommend.

I also have some nice brown heathered (winds up being med-dark) natural brown colored lamb's wool with about 10% angora in it. Also very very soft, and would not be brightly colored at all. I don't think they'd notice the angora unless I told them it was there.

I spin these drab colors because my brother the truck driver won't wear anything else. But he secretly enjoys a touch of luxury when driving up in New Hamshire or Maine this time of year. And he's had big burly dock workers ask where he got his warm ski band.

Donna
The word I have is that natural animal fibers such as wool, alpaca and a blend of those is fine as long as there is NO synthetic fibers included. The animal fibers burn slowly while the synthetics melt into the skin and then stick which causes much more damage than a little ash from the animal fibers.

Your handspun yarn sounds perfect and we would happily accept them knit into helmet liners.

Thanks so much for considering creating the liners from such special materials.

Kae
kae1crafts is offline   Reply With Quote