View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Thanks!
Hi, Hyper!

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly! That's incredibly generous!

The socks I'm contemplating are the Elizabeth Socks from "A Cuff Above" by Cynthia Guggemos. They're shown on Page 29 of the September 2010 Knit Picks Catalog. I have the yarn and the book and I know they'll be gorgeous should I happen to also acquire the know-how to knit them!!!

I'm in the process of finishing up the entrelac sweater vest in Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting. It's my first entrelac project and it's been a doozy for sure. The good news is that I can now knit and purl backwards which is a new knitting skill that I expect will come in very handy for other projects. I had to learn the backwards techniques in self-defense since I calculated there were over 3,000 turns needed in this simple vest front and I would have been dizzy-crazy by the end of the piece.

When it's done I'll post a picture and some notes on my entrelac discoveries, but I wanted to study up on the Fair Isle so I'm ready to do those gorgeous socks! (And also I've got to find a cardigan pattern with a Fair Isle yoke that I can do for my 80 year old godmother!) Guess I'd better learn Fair Isle pretty quick, right?

For the Elizabeth socks there's only 1 row that has alternating colors (MC, CC, MC, CC etc.) and that row happens after 4 rows of plain knit. I couldn't see carrying the contrasting color all the way around the plain knit rows which was why I hoped I could just twist it around the working yarn at the start of the round and bump it up a couple of rounds vertically until it's needed again.

Let me know if you can find the pattern and any thoughts you might have on this!

Thanks to all!

Ruthie