View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Super scarves...
Hi, Megan!

Every year I knit up a bunch of these scarves for friends, family and folks in the community who just want to stay warm! In fact, I just finished my first five for the season. (They only take me a few hours to complete) They're lightweight, super warm and so pretty! Everyone who has one loves it and generally requests others for their friends.

I use only Lion Brand Homespun yarn. One skein makes one perfectly sized scarf. The price has gone up to over $7 a skein but you can still get it on sale for around $5.

Using size 15 needles and working with two strands of Homespun, cast on 12 stitches. Work loosely in garter stitch (all knit stitches) until you have about a yard of yarn left. Bind off and weave in ends.

I take the strand of yarn that comes out of the center pull ball and then hold it together with the yarn that comes off around the outside to get my double strand from the same skein. This works well once you get used to manipulating it and you have the added advantage of knowing all the scarves will be the same size.

One year, for the ones I did for the community, I wrapped the scarves in clear cellophane wrap that I got at the dollar store and then used some really pretty wired ribbon that I found on sale at Michael's. This made a really nice package and folks could see through the cellophane to pick whatever color appealed to them. These were VERY well received. I've worn mine for about three winters now and it's still soft and warm and comfortable!

Good luck. And happy knitting!

Ruthie
megan734 (09-18-2010), melmac51 (09-22-2010)