View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Purlster
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern question for a continental knitter...
Hello,

I am knitting some fingerless gloves with a pattern from Churchmouse Yarns (www.churchmouseyarns.com). It is a paid pattern, so I am only posting the bit where I am having trouble understanding the pattern. I think it may be because I am a continental knitter, not American style. It is the thumb gusset bind-off. There are 48 stitches on the needles. I am doing magic loop on circulars, so the needles have 18 stitches on one and 30 stitches on the other due to increases. The needle with more stitches has one stitch, a marker, 15 stitches, a marker, and then 14 stitches. I hope that makes sense. Here's the thumb gusset:

"K1, remove marker, P1: keeping yarn in front, slip next st purlwise, bring yarn to back. *Slip 1 st purlwise, pass second st on the right needle over the first to bind off. Repeat from * until you have bound off the last knit gusset st over the last purl; remove marker. Slip the last st remaining from your binding off back to the left needle. Turn. Using cable cast-on method and working quite firmly, cast on 3 sts. Turn. Slip the first st on the left needle to the right needle purlwise and pass the last cast-on st on the right needle over. Knit to end of round. (37 sts)"

Okay, what's throwing me off is cast on bit. I have already bound off to the last stitch. I moved that stitch back to the left needle. Now what? Do I cast the new stitches on to the left or right needle? What other changes do I need to make to the pattern to accommodate the continental knitting style?

Thank you all as always for any help you can provide!

Alex
MrKnitster on Ravelry.com
Guy Knitter on the Boston Commuter Rail
Purlster is offline   Reply With Quote