View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Kitchener stitch - gotta love it!
Hi!

Kitchener stitch is one of those neat utility techniques that has many applications beyond closing up sock toes!

And it's so fascinating (for me, at least) to watch the two pieces you're grafting come together seamlessly. So cool!

I, too, had difficulty retaining the technique, though, since I started out only doing it on sock toes where I was dealing with about 8 stitches. As soon as I was finished, the method just went out of my head and I'd have to "re-learn" it each time. Bummer!

BUT, then I used it on a rectangular piece that was about 50 stitches wide and "Voila!", it stuck! I wanted a specific lace pattern at each end of a rectangle that had seed stitch in the middle. So when I finished knitting the fancy lace on the first end I knitted three rows of st stitch. Then I started the seed stitch and worked that up to where the lace from the other end would attach, ending off with one row of st stitch.

Holding those stitches on a spare needle, I worked the lace at the other end and added one row of st stitch. Then I grafted them together with kitchener stitch and got a seamless join and the third row of st stitch that matched the other end!

The bonus there was that I really learned the kitchener stitch because I did such a long line of it at one time. It really made the process understandable.

So go for it! I can see where this would be an easy one to work that kind of magic!

Good luck!

Ruthie
sgtpam (12-21-2010)