View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I agree with Jan. My knitting group here met through Meetup.com and we have so much fun. We've been meeting for about a year now and there are four of us who are regulars and we usually get one or two new knitters a week who may or may not come back. We currently have a lady from Estonia who is visiting her 95 year old aunt who lives here in Savannah. I've heard of Estonian Lace, but this woman is amazing! She's in her mid to late 60's and knits lace by heart, no pattern needed! She's been knitting since she was 3! Her shawls are absolutely gorgeous and you can pull a full sized shawl through a wedding ring...no joke! Her name is Tiuu and she will be here about one more month, then she's going to Canada to visit another aunt. I sure would love to learn the Estonian technique but I'm not very lucky with lace. A knitting group is great fun and you can really meet some excellent knitters! I took some pictures of her shawls with my phone, but I can't figure out how to transfer them, if that's even possible. I'm going to take my little digital camera to our next meeting and I'll take some pictures that I can post here. How I envy her work!! I digress....advertise on Meetup.com or just put an ad in your local paper. It may take a while, but sooner or later, you'll have yourself a little group to knit with.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote